Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Loving - Food Edition

   I am sitting here at my desktop smelling barbecue sauce cooking, pickles marinating and bread rising. The house is smelling wonderful as you can imagine. As I was hobbling around the kitchen (injured big toe, I think it is out of joint, again), I thought I should share food post.

   If you know me, you know I hate summer because of the heat. However, I love all the yummy homegrown organic produce I get at the farmer's market twice a week. I always joke saying I am Cinzori Farm's best customer since I always get so much every week. I buy a ton since I freeze for the winter months, veggies, sauces, puree, etc. When I say I love to cook I take it to a whole another level.

Last week, I was in the mood for egg rolls, which has been years since I had one. To satisfy that hunger I went to the internet to find a egg roll wrapper recipe. I am happy to say I found one that I love. The dough is very easy to make and even easier to work with. The trick is to knead it well
 http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumeggrolls/r/eggrollwraps.htm
I may or may not have made these things twice within a week. I blame my mom for that, she LOVES them.
For the filling,
Small head of cabbage, shredded
4 large carrots, julienne
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
salt to taste
oil, butter and ghee
Directions:
1. I first boiled the cabbage for 15 minutes. I do this because cooked cabbage is easier to digest.
2.  In a tablespoon of oil saute the carrots for about 5 minutes, they should be a bright orange. Add in garlic and cook until toasted but be careful not to burn it. Add in cabbage and lit that cook down and get a little crisp.
3. Add ginger and salt to taste.
4. In each wrapper place about 2 tablespoons of the filling and roll.
5. In a skillet add a tablespoon of oil and sear the egg roll on all sides. Place on cookie sheet when done. Once they are all seared.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 or until filling is hot.



1 comment: