Saturday, August 29, 2015

Cocoa Zucchini Apple Cookies

  This time a year I find myself with loads of yummy fresh produce from the organic farmers at my local farmers market. That means I have been super busy in the kitchen making and processing things to freeze for the winter. If only you could see my freezer now. It is jam packed with mason jars full of zucchini, bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatillo salsa, tomato, sauce apple sauce and berries. So you can imagine I have been a busy bee preparing for the winter when it is impossible to find organic and USA grown items. 
   Anyway, I have been wanting to make a zucchini cookie but add cocoa powder and apple to it but my dad thought otherwise. I took that as a challenge. So this is what came out. A brownie like cookie that is moist from the grated zucchini and apples. I don't like my desserts super sweet so it only has a 1/2 c. of sugar which normally should be a 1c. Plus, the added apple adds a little sweetness. 
   My family loves these and my mom says it is her favorite cookie. She took some of them and made them into ice cream sandwiches. I haven't tried them yet but I am sure they are great.

Makes 2 dozen cookies
I used all organic ingredients. 
Ingredients:
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium zucchini
3 firm apples ( I used zesters), shredded, or it you want little apple chunks throughout, chop up one of the apples finely. 
1 egg
1/2 c. cocoa powder ( I used 100% raw cocoa powder) 
2 1/4 c. flour, I used white spelt flour but have done it with whole wheat
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix in the baking soda, salt, egg and the grated zucchini and apple.
4. Stir in cocoa and flour.
5. If, you are adding apple chunks this is when they should be folded in.
6. Place a tablespoon of batter onto a greased cookie sheet. Placing each cookie 2" apart.
7. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. The edges should be firm and the center soft. Let the cookies rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.

Tip: If the batter seems too thin mix in a 1/4 c. of flour. The batter should be loose but not like a pancake batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment